Water pumps are efficient utilities for generation and transfer of water. However, these pumps are of great energy requirements. This energy can be obtained from numerous sources, ranging from the mechanical source to electrical and solar energy
The Invention of the solar-powered water pumps comes along with economic importance and poses less environmental risk and pollution as compared to other forms of energy. Also, solar power powered water pump is used for recreational benefits such as pools, gardens, parks, etc.
Today, several solar-powered pumps are available with lots of different features varying from quality pressurizers to valves, to compact blowers, etc.
We have compiled a list of best solar-powered water pumps to help you choose one. There are standout features one must consider in purchasing solar-powered pumps. These include panels, pistons, valves, filters.
Other components like gravity and even distribution channels are usually a major factor in mounting a solar-powered water pump.
All these features and others are carefully analyzed and reviewed in conjunction with a list compilation of suitable solar-powered pump brands that could serve as an ultra-guide for purchase.
The Best Solar Powered Water Pumps Reviewed
Our Top pick: Eco- worthy solar water pump
A solar-powered water pump, submersible in pools, small ponds, etc. causes no environmental pollution, with a wonderful recyclable energy mode.
Its value in industries is highly appreciated as it comes in different sizes and its spare parts are very portable.
Its fluid pressurizers and propellers are durable and portable and are not easily damaged by wind, gravity and other forms of pull.
It comes with a slightly dense dimension and weight which makes it slightly rigid and sometimes cumbersome.
Its spare parts are affordable and readily available, especially when compared to other brands. Though its installation might be dicey, and oftentimes require manpower and skill, it is still yet less tiring and stress-free when compared to others.
What we like:
- Long Life Span | Designed to have a long life cycle of about 20000 hours, this gives it an advantage over others, as its possession of energy bank distinguishes it from other types of pumps.
- 1-year warranty | Much more amazing to customers is the one-year warranty bonus pack, this shows the brand’s belief in its durability and quality.
- Adjustable solar panels | its solar panel is stationed at angles 25-35.4 degrees. And are stationed at direction above the ground. This is a unique feature that makes it different from others.
- Centrifugal Vanes | this helps enhances fluidity, the vanes designs vary, but its efficiency is not affected. The vanes rotate and move the fluid of the pump.
- Easy to clean | its cleaning convince, is a very big bonus, and advantage, the parts can be removed and wiped, with no major stress and by doing so enhancing its durability.
- An additional benefit is that it can use both solar and electrical energy, but it’s a full solar-powered water pump.
Things to consider:
- Cable connection | its cable connection is designed for DC and not AC power supply. This means that direct connection should be considered in the installment setup of this brand. NB Some solar-powered pumps both solar energy and electrical energy, thus the need for a qualitative cable connection and installation.
- Installation | its installation step might be complex and technical and requires skilled manpower but it is advisable to follow the manuals guide despite the presence of an expert.
Top Pick: Solariver submersible solar water pump
A wonderful pump, for natural springs aquariums, pools, and even livestock, etc. It moves large volumes of water, gushing out with ease, its piston is active and operates at high speed.
It consists of a magnetic plump and metallic frame that enhances its durability and efficiency.
Its internal panel is coated with aluminum which is very durable and aids the protection of sensitive parts.
With a solar panel of about 20watts, it helps reduce the unavailability of energy.
And its components are submersible in water but effective in generating water from pools and for aquacultural purposes
What we like:
- 1-year warranty | one year warranty is often a statement of confidence that comes with a clause of refunding the money used in the purchase of this particular brand of solar-powered pump.
- Removable Pre-filters | Apart from the pump, piston, and others, it consists of stainless pre-filters, this helps in filtering off the debris and the sediments that have been pumped out by the piston along with large volume of water, this further enhances clean hygienic water, whether it be from streams, pools, or rivers.
- Long Life Span | Its life span is designed to be above 20000 hours, It has a very large storage capacity that could store up energy which could be used for more than 20000, this gives it an extra edge over others as not many solar pumps can last over 20000 hours.
- Durable 20Watt solar panel | its 20watt solar panel situated directly towards the sun, with a ground spike that enables it receives sunlight energy. This solar panel is the heart of the whole solar setup because it functions is to receive energy from sunlight especially during the day.
Things to consider:
- Ease of getting Spare parts | the key parts of this solar-powered water pump are usually scarce in the markets, parts like the impellers, centrifuge vanes, pistons, etc. are very difficult. Buyers should note that when damaged, these parts may not be easy to find and replaced.
- Installation | its installation requires expertise and skilled manpower and installation process can take days. But it is advisable to follow the manuals guide despite the presence of an expert.
Alternative top pick: AOE submersible Solar water pump
This particular solar-powered water pump consists of a flexible pump and panel, this wonderful pump generates more than 757 liters of water per minute.
It has a bold waterproof connector that holds it firm and makes it quite difficult to remove.
Its solar panel is coated with an aluminum frame which is a durable metal that protects the solar panel and crystalline proof.
A strong shaft and bearing are locked up with strong casing housing the filaments and circuits of the pump and it also possesses centrifuge vanes and efficient piston.
The panel is often mounted on a solid ground base, but it is also accompanied by ground spikes and special nozzles that project the solar setup to the sun. This projection is done to capture the rays of the sun.
What we like:
- 1-year warranty | Much more amazing to customers is the one-year warranty bonus pack, this shows the brand’s belief in its durability and quality. Buyers could recover their money, in the case where the pump fails to carry out its operation.
- Long Life Span | Designed to have a long life cycle of about 20000 hours, this gives it an advantage over others, as this quality distinguishes it with a more durable energy bank.
- Durable Aluminum Frame | the solar panel, pins, and filaments are encased in a crystalline aluminum proof, that not only protects and secure but gives the setup an ultra-appearance
- Spring relief Valve | this helps to push against the pressure and therefore, maintaining an equilibrium. This it does by opening and closing of valves at regular intervals.
- Durable 10-watt solar panel | this durable panel receives and radiates energy needed for pumping of water during the day. The panel plays a vital role by receiving sunlight and dissipating it as energy to help power the water pump.
Things to consider:
- Cable connection | its cable connection is designed for DC and not AC power supply. NB Some solar-powered pumps both solar energy and electrical energy, thus the need for a qualitative cable connection and installation.
- Quality of ground Spikes | though not all the times, the quality of the ground spikes might vary and some may not be of standard quality. Durable ground spikes help hold the whole installation setup firm and steady, giving it a strong basement.
Economic class option: Lewisia 5W solar water pump
A magnificent pump designed for pools and garden areas, livestock and irrigation purposes. Its design is beautiful with a robust dimension that gives it a lovely appearance by sight.
It comes along with a durable solar panel and filaments as well. It is a submersible pump with high power centrifuge vanes and impellers.
It consists of sensitive fragments made which calls for careful usage as the parts could be flexible.
What we like:
- Cleaning convenience | its parts are made of glass, therefore this makes it very easy to wipe and clean. The usage of disinfectants and other cleaning agents can be used in the cleaning of its parts. The cleaning of the solar panel should be done regularly.
- Durable solar panel | its solar panel is made up of metals and glass, which makes it durable and strong. This solar panel receives sunlight from the sun and dissipates it to the pump.
- High pumping power | its piston and pressurizers are very active and it pumps water at a very high speed than when compared to others. It also pumps large volumes of water.
- Centrifugal vanes | its centrifugal vanes enhances the speed of the pump, as it rotates the piston is active and pressurizers as well all influencing working simultaneously. The presence of a malfunctioning vane might lead to pump damage and would be required to change.
Things to consider:
- The high cost of maintenance | the cost of maintaining its solar panel and other materials might be very expensive. And also it requires strict adherence to the manual guide, which is often well understood by the expert.
- Scarcity of spare parts | unlike others its materials and tools are usually unique and not easily found in the market, this proves very costly as damage of any part might require a total replacement of the energy setup.
- No warranty insurance | this might be not be welcomed by customers, but there’s no insurance backup on this product. Buyers should take note and should be handled with care.
Best budget option: Aisitin solar water pump
This brand is an amazing brand that comes with its own adapters and film. Its solar panel is well protected by its film, which gives it its own shade.
The height, which typifies its ability to absorb sun rays.
It is held firm by nozzles and other accessories, which also helps to anchor the solar panel which allows sunshine penetration.
What we like:
- Long lifespan | its life span is long as well. Its energy could last for about 10000 hours. This is favorable to buyers, as buyers have the luxury of extra hours, unlike others.
- Protection Mechanism | Apart from its solar film, which serves as a protective agent for the solar panel, it has an automatic shutdown mode, of which this brand could switch on and off automatically.
- Durable solar panels | its solar panels are usually durable and have a high energy rate.
- Strong nozzles and bearers | Its nozzles are very firm on the ground and fixed as well, which helps anchor and projects its solar panel. The solar panel then collects sunrays and transmits solar energy.
- In built-battery | It has a high energy capacity and this is a result of its quality in-built battery. NB this solar-powered water pump uses both solar energy and electrical energy, thus the need for a qualitative cable connection and installation.
And also in many cases, the solar-powered water pump uses batteries and mechanical sources of energy, together with solar energy.
Things to consider:
- Difficult Installation | its setup is tasking and usually requires expertise and strength.
Best budget option: Ueetek solar water pump 1.2 W
With a compact dimension, this solar-powered water pump comes along with suckers.
It is a submersible pump of high efficiency which requires no external energy source such as batteries.
It is dependent on sunlight for pumping.
What we like:
- Easy installation | Unlike the others, that requires great skill and expertise, this particular brand is very easy to install, especially when using the manual guide.
- High efficiency | the solar panel is of great quality and is highly efficient in performing its utilities especially when there is adequate sunshine.
- Spring relief valve | the spring valve helps control the flow and by so maintaining equilibrium. The piston and the pump work hand in hand in the pumping of water.
- Long life span | It has a long life span of about 10000 hours, this quality is of immense aid to buyers.
Things to consider:
- No in-built battery | this is of a great disadvantage because, in stormy and cloudy days when the sunshine level is often low, it is often very difficult to pump water, because of the low level of sunshine and energy.
- No warranty insurance | Buyers may not find this funny, as there is no insurance back up for this brand. So it is often assumed that at the point of purchase such a pump is working efficiently.
Some frequently asked questions
Do solar-powered water pumps accelerate global warming?
The answer is no. The use of solar energy reduces the usage of fossil energy. The usage of, petroleum and greenhouse gases is largely reduced, with the invention of solar energy.
Solar energy channeled into other external utilities such as cars, generators, pumps, etc. helps in facilitating a decline in global warming.
Research has proven that with the gradual replacement of fossil energy with solar energy, there would a massive reduction in ozone layer depletion.
What is the maintenance cost needed for solar-powered pumps?
Often it depends on the quality of the solar device. However, solar energy devices must be regularly maintained.
Solar panels, plugs are usually changed at regular intervals. These changes usually cost a lot of money and anyone that intends to use solar energy must be financially ready.
What are the advantages the electric water pump has over the solar water pump?
The electric water pump is not easily affected by cloud and weather change, but the solar water pump is often affected by cloud and weather change.
Many times the solar energy weakens as a result of low penetration of sun rays. And also the installation and maintenance of the electric pump are far cheaper than that of the solar pump.
Manpower and skill are required in both the electric form and solar form, but the solar form requires greater skill than the electrical form.
An AC or a DC connection which one is more effective?
It depends on the particular brand of the solar pump. Though it is quite difficult for a particular brand of a solar pump to operate on both AC and DC connections.
The different pump requires a different type of connection, depending on its suite. So you can’t say which one is more effective between the AC and the DC.
How does a solar water pump operate during cloudy and stormy weather?
The solar water pump is usually off from its best, and not usually effective, as mounting of the solar panel becomes fruitless and futile as energy from sunlight is reduced by insufficient sunlight.
Usually, during stormy times solar panels, pistons, and other installments might be blown away.
What are the uses of solar pumps?
The importance of the need for solar pumps cannot be overemphasized they are used in a different scope of life, It facilitates the pumping of water in firms, farms, industries and even in livestock, etc.
Apart from its utility benefits, it saves time, reduces stress, and even health risks.
What is the difference between the submersible and surface pump?
The depth of water level is often a standout factor when considering the type of pump to use. The submersible pump is used to pump water from great depths, while that of a surface pump is used to pump water from small depths.
What is the energy capacity of a solar water pump?
The pump is driven by a certain amount of energy and they usually vary depending on the type and size of the pump, but there must be at least a minimum of 100W to drive such pumps.
However, large amounts can be inputted to enhance their efficiency. But I would strictly advise customers to adhere to the instruction on the user’s manual.
What are the health complications of solar energy?
Though solar energy might not have an obvious effect on the respiratory system, solar energy might not be compatible with all types of skin. Burns, scars are often regular appearances amongst people.
But research has proven that solar energy helps reduce the health risks posed by fossil and gas flaring.
Also, global warming caused by the burning of fossil fuel and coals is been reduced as solar energy gradually replaces the use of these fuels.
How do I maintain my solar panel?
Solar panels are usually fragile and require skilled maintenance for operation. But to maintain your solar panel, there must be regular cleaning.
The solar panel must be well cleaned and dried as well. Also, regular replacement of spare parts and solar panels helps in bolstering a long life span of the whole solar setup.
What are the other substitutes for the solar water pump?
For every appliance there must be a substitute, the functions of a solar water pump can also be carried out by the manual oxygenated pump.
During the past, these oxygenated pumps have been the major equipment before the introduction of mechanical and electrical pumps. However, technology has grandly introduced solar energy, which comes with its requirements
What is the economic importance of the solar water pump?
Solar pumps have lots of applications in various facets of life, ranging from health to agriculture to recreation and so many other fields. Solar pumps are inventions that generate revenues even among the government and individual levels.
Today, with the use of solar pumps, farmers don’t have to complain about the absence of electrical energy supply. And with the presence of technology, it is possible to have lots of benefits come in as the years go by.
How does the soil topography influence the efficiency of a solar pump?
The topography of the soil is a very decisive factor, because for the piston and pressurizes to operate, the ground must be a favorable site with water underneath it.
Many times customers complain of the poor efficiency of their solar pump, but this could be a result of the unfavorable topography of the soil.
But this challenge could be tackled by carrying out careful analysis on the site marked out for the setup, by doing so, we save cost, time and stress.
Other worthy mentions
While the above might be a very wonderful compilation, the worthy mention series is also interesting as brands in this series possess some key features that could be of great importance to the buyer.
This is a very durable submersible water pump. Its solar panel receives sunray, of which it uses to pump water, it is used in gardens, swimming pools, etc. It also consists of metallic pre-filters.
- Automatic on and off button.
- Standard Valves.
Very efficient for aquarium, ponds, and livestock. It has qualitative impellers and power cords. This pump has a long life span close to 20000hrs. Its application is very versatile.
- LED light
- Strong nozzles
- Aluminum frame
Comes along with lovely designs. It is often used in fountains, pools to pump water, its installation is very convenient and its solar panel helps to initiate the pumping process.
- Flexible impellers
- Easy installation
- 1-year warranty
It is a submersible pump, its application is far and wide. Its plugging is usually DC with a long life span greater than 15000 hours. If its solar panel is kept clean, the efficiency of the solar panel will not weaken.
- Strong connection cords DC
- Solid centrifuge vanes
- 1-year warranty buyers
A beautifully designed solar water pump of great quality and durability, its application is wide. The cost of maintenance is now very high. It is fully dependent on solar and its efficiency might be weakened by low sunshine.
- Durable Adapters.
- Portable solar panel.
- Quality and flexible impellers.
- Solar-powered water pumps are majorly used in generating water to supply in livestock.
- Solar-powered water pumps are often employed in community farming.
- Its application is launched in industries and firms, for easy operation.
- Often used for garden watering and horticulture application.
- Its solar panel and other facets extend the room for research and development within our society.