The essential plant growth requirements include suitable soil, water, light, warm temperature, humidity, and nutrients (manure).
It is necessary to note that the relevant standard and quantity of these requirements are given to the plants – insufficient or excess will cause a deficiency in the plants.
Light is one of the most vital requirements for plants to thrive as it allows all plants to produce its food through photosynthesis. Hence, plants need light for survival.
The light required for the development of a plant is two types – sunlight (for outdoor plants) and Grow lights, mostly used for indoor farming.
Most growers who build space within their home for planting use Grow lights. Farmers who will be using Grow lights need to know that it is paramount to understand and ascertain the strength of the light required by the plant.
What are Led Grow Lights?
Light-emitting diode (LED) lights are among the six (6) kinds of grow lights.
Others are high-pressure sodium lights (HPS), Metal Halide (MH), Incandescent, Fluorescent, and high-intensity discharge.
LED grow lights are gradually becoming the desired choice for farm experts who have a core interest in indoor farming.
They are selected above other grow lights because they last longer and possess qualities that make it environmentally friendly. LED lights are perfect grow lights about reducing operating costs.
These are unique kinds of grow lights that have the merits of utilizing them to offer lights for your plants.
Most private and industrial farmers prefer LED lights for their plants because of these characteristics.
Due to the distinctiveness of its features, all growers prefer LED grow lights; hence, the cost is inexpensive, lasts longer, and has varying wavelengths.
How far should the LED grow lights Be From Plants?
Other types of grow lights such as Metal Halide and High-pressure sodium usually have a standard distance from the plants.
Unlike them, however, LED grow lights do not have any specific distance from placing it from the plants.
Most times, it differs from one LED light to another. The required distance between a LED from the top of the room to the tip of the plant varies from each LED light model to the other and from one manufacturer to another.
There are varying factors that can influence the suitable distance of LED lights from plants.
Some factors are the size of the LED bulb and the manner which the light is reflected down towards the plants as dictated by the producer through the use of the lenses
For crops to flourish and yield their fruits in the most optimal possible way, the LED grow lights must be placed and used appropriately.
Notwithstanding, there are vital parameters that ought to be taken into consideration when deciding the distance of the lights of the LED from the plants. One such parameter is the wattage of the LED light.
Another parameter is the purpose, whether the objective for planting is for vegging or blooming.
So what distance is optimal when using LED lights? Below are estimated distance ranges for different wattage.
The distance for both vegging and blooming is also given below:
- For 1 Watt: The distance is between the light and plants is about 30 cm
- For 3 – 5 Watts: The range of the light from the plants should also be about 30cm
- For 6 – 10 Watts: About 50 cm from the plants
- For 200 Watts: The distance of the LED Grow lights for vegging is 12 – 20 inches (ca. 51 cm), while for blooming, the distance is 8 – 16 inches (ca. 41 cm).
- For 400 Watts: When the purpose is for vegging, the distance of the LED Grow lights from the plants is 20 – 27 inches (0.69 m). If blooming is the intention of the grower, the distance is 13 – 21 inches (0.53 m).
- For 600 Watts: For vegging purposes, the distance of the plants from the LED Grow lights is 30 – 38 inches (ca. 1 m). When blooming is required, the distance is reduced to 18 – 30 inches (0.76 m).
- For 800 Watts: The distance of the LED light for this wattage rating when vegging is 32 – 42 inches (1.07 m). When blooming is desired, the distance should be 19 – 34 inches (0.86 m).
- For 1000 Watts: When vegging is the plan of the grower, the distance of the LED Grow light with this wattage rating from the plant is 36 – 46 inches (1.17 m). If it is to bloom the plant, the distance should be set at 21 – 36 inches (0.91 m).
It should be noted that these distances are the hanging heights of the LED Grow lights from the top of the canopy in the room where the plants are sowed.
How to choose a perfect distance between grow lights and your plants?
The distance of the LED Grow lights from the plants is critical and must be carefully done to ensure proper growth in the plants.
Insufficient or excess light reaching the plant can cause stretching or stunted growth, respectively. But with the right distance from the plants, you are sure that the plants will grow strong and healthy.
Thus, the manufacturers’ suggested LED light distance must be adhered to enhance the flourishing of the plants.
Some factors need consideration when using LED lights. They are ambient temperature and water content.
A significant advantage of integrating LED lights in a farm space is that it offers the Farmers the freedom to influence the temperature within the plant growing area.
This is achieved through the little proportion of heat emitted by the LED lights as compared to other types, for example, the Metal Halide and high-pressure sodium (HPS).
Lights from LED also help limit the amount of water released through the soil surface.