Sunflowers are believed to represent adoration, loyalty, and longevity. Even though they have been cultivated for years, they still hold a unique charm because of their cheery look and positive characteristic.
They are one of the best centerpieces in floral arrangements. However, once you cut the sunflower, you must take good care of it if you do not want it to wilt. There are a few tips that you can follow to keep your sunflower fresh and standing up in a vase.
How To Make A Sunflower Stand Up In A Vase?
You can prepare a sunflower bouquet, put them in a vase, and let enhance the look of your room or kitchen.
However, before you do this, you will need to know how to take proper care of them, so that they stand up in a vase. Here are some tips that you might find useful:
1. Water It Regularly
Even when they are still in the ground, sunflowers need water to keep them from wilting.
The same goes for when the sunflower has been picked and put in a vase. It is best to keep it watered even before the picking.
The sunflower will absorb a lot of water from the ground, so it will look fresh for longer when picked.
2. Add Sugar To The Sunflower’s Water
If your sunflower starts drooping, try adding a couple of teaspoons of sugar to the lukewarm water in your vase. This will make them perk up immediately!
3. Pick It Early In The Morning
During the night, the sunflowers tend to rejuvenate their water supply. If you want them to look fresh as long as possible, it is best to pick them in the early morning instead of any other part of the day.
4. Cut The Stem At An Angle
Once you have the actual flower in a vase, make sure that the stem is cut correctly. If the flower has a flat cut stem, that will prevent it from soaking up the water from the vase. So, first take a pair of sharp scissors, clean them up and disinfect them.
Then, take the flower and make an angle cut on the stem. By doing this, you give the flower more surface on the stem to soak up water.
5. Change The Water Every Day
As said before, sunflowers will need water at all times. If you want to keep them fresh as long as possible, you will need to change their water every day. Also, make sure that they have enough water at all times.
This will lessen the shock of them being picked, while it will also keep the flower from getting a bad smell.
6. Make Sure You Are Not Overwatering The Flower
While I have stressed the idea of the sunflower needing a lot of water, I do have to mention that you should not overwater it. If the water starts drooping, then it might be time for a change in the watering schedule.
It is best to water the sunflower at night to rejuvenate overnight and be all fresh and vibrant throughout the day.
7. Provide Good Support For The Sunflower’s Heavy Head
Unlike other flowers, sunflowers do not need any fertilizing, so you do not have to worry about that. However, what they do need is support.
Strong stakes and canes are the best options for sunflower support, while you can also use garden twine to tie the sunflower stem to the stake or cane.
Other Tips For Keeping A Sunflower Alive In A Vase
Expert florists often mention that picked sunflowers can live up to two weeks if they are appropriately taken care of. In addition to what’s already mentioned, there are several other things that you should pay attention to:
- The first is to never give the plant warm water. Sunflowers require cool water in order to reach their full potential.
- Another thing to look out for is the state of the stem. Even though I have mentioned that it should be cut at an angle, I did not mention that it should be recut every now and then. It is best to recut the stem every two days to give the flower a new and fresh area for absorbing water.
- Yet another thing to keep in mind is that the flower’s stem should be cut underwater. By doing this, you prevent air from getting into the stem’s vascular system.
- To add to that, you should keep the stem in the water at all times. To this, even when you are cleaning the vase. In this way, the flower will feel that it has the proper living conditions at all times.
To sum up, the sunflower is a gorgeous flower with many benefits. From the colorful blooms to their edible seeds, there are so many great things about this flower.
Consider adding them to your home to bring in some color and vibrance. Folklore stories say that sunflowers are a symbol of good luck. So, adding a sunflower bouquet to your home might just cause something great to happen to you!