A koi pond has a specific design requirement. If you think of making a koi pond to raise, it will call for a lot of energy.
But you don’t have to worry since you will enjoy the benefits in the long term.
You just need to plan carefully and consider vital factors that could affect the durability of your pond.
The minimum size of the koi pond should be 6ft × 8ft × 8ft.
One of the most significant challenges is deciding on the size of your pond.
The above dimensions will need approximately 1077 gallons of water. The 6ft × 8ft × 8ft koi pond can accommodate no more than four or five average-sized koi fish.
A majority of people get into the venture primarily for fun. If you also want to participate in the koi pond, you must learn how to do it the right way. Having known that, let have a look at the koi pond glass.
Koi Pond Glass Definition
The best Koi pond glass is a top grade 316 stainless steel frame with Pilkington, laminated, and toughened windows ponds. It is the only grade that does not destroy. It is like having your private aquarium.
This Glass has been developed to make fitting a window into your pond much more comfortable. It has an ideal base that will not blister or peel off like any other painting.
The primary reason to have a garden koi pond is the fish – caring for them, collecting them, or even watching them swim beneath the reflections of the sky. Koi ponds are not just garden decorations.
Huh! There is a piece of anecdotal evidence that watching aquarium fish relieves stress. They can be a source of stress relief. Try this today.
Currently, many people are running away from traditional ponds. All thanks to Technology!
They are opting for a koi pond with a viewing window. This comes with many benefits you can’t afford to miss.
Your children can also see the fish closely without worrying about being exposed to danger. For sure, this is worth your time. You don’t have to worry about the cost of maintenance.
You just need to make sure that the window is always clean and bright. How?
A quick wipe using a sponge ensures that your Glass is still sparkling.
Note that very little support is needed. You just have to get a window expert to ensure you get the perfect size and type of the required window according to your pond size.
The Glass offers a magnificent and perfect view to everyone at your home. You can easily monitor your fish and act quickly upon any injury or pests.
That is the most assuring thing that your fish always be out of danger. You will be your rescue team. You will always see the koi fish swim past the window. Windows are a jackpot.
Reasons To Fit Koi Pond Glass Frame
Quality koi pond glass lining can withstand high temperatures and will not crack or split. Thus, it is durable since it can withstand different knocks.
Below are some of the crucial reasons for using a glass frame:
- The frame has a lifetime guarantee.
- Easy to fit design; you just build them in with block.
- They are fish friendly with no sharp corners to catch the fish.
- It offers a better view of the pond.
- The only guaranteed safe method to bring the Glass to the front of the wall for better inspection of your fish.
- It opens up the entire world to observe fish under the surface.
There are many window styles to choose from. They include:
Many factors determine the Koi pond glass thickness. One of the most critical factors is height.
It is vital to understand that the higher the panel, the thicker the board needs to be. Owners can use tempered glass windows.
Advantages Of Koi Pond Glass
Glass-reinforced polyester fiberglass ponds are popular and well known to have significant advantages over other inferior systems.
You can’t afford to miss out on the benefits that come along with it. Below are the notable ones.
- It is cost-effective.
- The Glass does not scratch easily. It is a durable solution to lining fish ponds.
- Adds strength to pond construction.
- It helps achieve a suitable surface. The pond is sealed completely when the final coat is applied.
- It provides a custom-built linear without leaving creases or folds.
Cons Of Koi Pond Glass
It can be expensive to maintain a koi pond. Keeping koi pond glass is a commitment. But there is a need to weigh the benefits.
Koi Pond Design Ideas
You can enjoy your koi pond glass in any weather. It is a statement feature inside your home.
The pros of an indoor garden are pretty obvious. You may have to account for humidity and a fan, maybe two. Some of the fantastic places to build your pond are:
- Where the pond can be seen from each floor
- Under the stairs
Outdoors is the most popular place to put your koi pond. Here, there are so many ideas you could opt for. It could be a raised design on your back deck or a sunken design amongst your bamboo.
It can be an entrance pond with a pathway to the door. The possibilities are seemingly endless.
Below are the most epic ideas for outdoor design:
- Build the koi pond right around your home – like a moat
- Under the deck
Use Of Lighting
You can use light in your Koi Pond. You just have to plan your view right in before you start building.
Watching the fish swim in the light is endless fun. Wait a breathtaking moment! The danger in this is that you won’t be able to take yourself away from the pond.
You will spend your nights under the stars, watching the aquatic world come to life. There is no way you will run away from this!
There are different light types you can use for your koi pond:
- Submersible pond light can make your water look sparkled. The light shines within water. The only downside will be the growth of moss or algae around the lens which will make the pond look messy.
- Uplighting can be another option for koi pond. Instead of submerging lights, these can be installed at the above water and close to the edge. You can adjust the lighting in any direction wanted. They work better than submersible lights as they dont submerge.
Things You Should Know Before Fitting Koi Pond Glass
There are two basic styles to install your koi pond window. They include:
- Surface-mounted – infinity window
- Inset style
The windows are usually fitted during the construction stage. In the construction of your pond, space has to be left out in the pond wall to accommodate the window.
Undoubtedly, large windows will look impressive, but they can cost you massive amounts of money.
So, make sure you budget for the size of the window to avoid unnecessary surprises. Installation starts with a stainless-steel frame bolted or screwed into the brickwork. This secures the frame securely.
Make sure that the space left is 6-10mm more than the window size. Doing this will allow a 3-5mm gap on each side of the Glass. Fill this gap with silicone.
Waterproofing your pond is also an essential factor.
Fiberglass is popular because of its flat finish and clean lines. This provides an easy way of cleaning your pond. You should also think about the water filtration system circulation.
In a Koi pond, your returns are through mid-water or top-water level pipe returns.
Before making an order for the koi pond glass, there are various things to be considered. The notable ones include the following:
- Number of sides – either four or three
- Pond finish – either fiberglass, liner, or render
- Frame height – measurement in mm
- Frame width – size in mm
- Distance from the water surface to the top of the frame
- Pond volume – in liters or gallons
The most important things to consider for your Glass should include the following:
- Heat soaked
- Polished edges
Windows can be made to measure from a minimum of 1ft × 1ft to 8ft × 8ft. The glass thickness depends on:
- The dimensions of the frame.
- The pressure and volume of the water it is holding back.
- Depth of the window
Before starting the actual construction, it is worth your time doing a detailed drawing, including the following:
- Electrics: lights, filtration, heaters
- Position of the filtration equipment
- Any drainage required
- The shape of your pond: circular, rectangular, kidney
It takes more than just buying the pond window. You need an expert to do the fitting for you.
The above guide provides you with the essential requirements to get your koi pond perfect. Bear in mind that a well-built pond will last a lifetime.
So, put plenty of thought at this stage.