Indoor gardening is not so hard if you use the proper accessories. Many tools can make it easier for you to create a perfect indoor garden.
One of the most used ones is a grow tent fan. Grow tent fans are duct fans that help to keep the fresh air inside of your tent. These fans also keep the odors away and maintain a proper temperature for your plants.
You can get many other advantages from owning a tent fan. You can learn about these advantages right here. To find out which one is the best for a grow tent, we have prepared an independent review.
6 Best Inline Fans For a Grow Room
Our review will let you learn about the top fans that you can use in your grow tent. Along with that, you will get a complete buying and maintenance guide.
Hydrofarm ACDF8 Active Air Inline Fan
The Hydrofarm ACDF8 Active Air Inline Fan has ceramic coating all over its body. This coating helps to make the fan durable and long-lasting. Also, with the help of this coating, the fan is safe from rust.
With a molded impeller, the fan provides an accurate airflow to the plants installed in a grow tent. The precise airflow helps to keep the temperature firm and suitable for the plants.
In the Hydrofarm ACDF8 Active Air Inline Fan, there is an AC motor installed for rotating the impeller. The engine is protected thermally, so it doesn’t heat up quickly and helps keep the fan’s motor free from damage.
Adjusting the speed of a fan is quite essential. Without that, you cannot keep a suitable temperature in the grow tent in different seasons. The Hydrofarm fan allows you to adjust its speed easily. So with this fan, you can keep a perfect temperature inside your grow tent.
Your growing environment needs accurate humidity control. Because without proper humidity, the growth of the plants will be affected. Using this, you can adjust the humidity to the level that your plants need.
Even after using this fan, sometimes bad odors may leak through. Aside from that, this fan provides several helpful features. So, choosing this fan can surely benefit you.
- The maximum noise produced by this fan is 75 decibels. Such a noise level keeps you free from any disturbance.
- The fan speed is 2520 RPM. For creating a suitable temperature for your plants, this speed is beneficial.
- A cord of a length of 8 feet. With such a cord, you can plug the fan from a long distance. So this will give you flexibility in the placement of the fan.
- 120V of the input voltage is required for this fan, which is suitable for home use
- Ceramic coating is used to cover the whole body of the exhaust fan. With such coating, the fan gets durable and also free from rusts or wear and tear.
Check Price & Reviews On Amazon
Apollo Horticulture 390 CFM Inline Duct FanProduct Overview
Unlike most other fans, the Apollo Horticulture 390 CFM Inline Duct Fan has a removable duct end. Such a feature will help you make this fan more compact if its regular size does not fit your space.
Made of plastic, this inline duct ventilation fan offers speed control. This is a built-in feature of the fan. So you can keep a moderate temperature by adjusting the fan’s speed.
And, the plastic used in this fan is quite reliable. It ensures the durability of the fan. So, you can use this fan for years without worrying about any damage.
The fan’s higher rpm helps you remove all the harmful chemical fumes and odors. On top of that, the super silent airflow helps to reduce noise disturbance. So with a combination of higher speed and lower noise, this one is the perfect fan for your grow tent.
Unfortunately, this fan will get hotter with the continuous running of the motor. In some fans, you will get a thermal controller for the motors to stay cool. But the Apollo Horticulture 390 CFM Inline Duct Fan has no such controller.
Though the motor can get hotter, you can still get the best use of this fan by frequently turning the motor on or off. The main point is that this fan gets your job done smoothly. Great fan for ventilation systems; you can get this fan for the benefits it has.
- This grow tent fan produces only 38 decibels of noise. This is the lowest noise for a grow tent fan to provide, reducing disturbance.
- With a speed of 2400 RPM, this grow tent fan has a faster impeller turning. It helps to keep the temperature at a moderate level for the plants.
- The voltage required for the Apollo Horticulture 390 CFM Inline Duct Fan is 115V. This is a little lower than the voltage which a household current requires.
- For flexible placement, this fan has a lower weight. And the 6-inch diameter of the frame helps the fan to become compact. So it fits perfectly and saves space in a grow tent.
Check Price & Reviews On Amazon
VenTech VT DF-6 DF6 Duct Fan
The VT DF-6 DF6 Duct Fan is one of the top duct fans created by VenTech. It is modified to produce a superior flow of air. With the high-level cubic feet per minute (CFM) of airflow, it provides a suitable temperature for your growing environment.
An aerodynamic body constructed with steel provides maximum efficiency and stability of the fan. And the baked paint, which is powder-coated, also enhances efficiency.
You should remember that you should not install this fan in an enclosed area. Keep the fan in a place where it can pass the air thoroughly.
Otherwise, you can get technical disturbance from the fan after a particular time.
The VenTech VT DF-6 DF6 Duct Fan can run with a standard household current. With 120 volts of power input, this fan will run to the fullest.
With the VenTech fan, you will get a 3 feet cord to plug it in. As the cable is only 3 feet long, you may find some difficulties in the fan’s placement. But you can avoid such problems by using a multi-plug.
Other than that, this fan is very supportive and will fulfill most of your requirements. This is why you can choose this duct fan for your grow tent.
- It provides 240 CFM of airflow. With such higher airflow, you can frequently change your grow tent room’s air to keep the air on the inside fresh.
- Needs 120 volts of current to run. This voltage is generally compatible with most of the household current. So you can run it comfortably at your home.
- The maximum temperature it allows is 140 degrees Fahrenheit. So the inside of your grow tent room will never get hotter than this temperature range.
- The fan produces 68 decibels of sound. This is reasonably quiet compared to many other grow-inline tent fans.
- A 6-inch diameter of the duct. This diameter is very compact and will fit in most of the grow tents easily.
Check Price & Reviews On Amazon
Urban Farmer 6 Inch Inline Duct Booster FanProduct Overview
The Urban Farmer 6 Inch Inline Duct Booster Fan is created with top-quality steel. To ensure reliability and durability, there is nothing better than those types of construction.
From air purification to temperature control, this fan has it all covered. With the help of the higher airflow, you can keep fresh air in your grow tent. On top of that, the speed adjuster allows you to control the temperature at your will.
So, keep all the odors, fumes, and pollutants away from your plants and help them to consume fresh air. Your plants will also have the perfect temperature if you use this fan in your grow tent, as you can see.
You should ensure proper ventilation before installing this fan. Without an excellent space to flow the air, installing this fan can cause a technical disturbance. So be very careful about this.
Unfortunately, this fan cannot be used with a carbon filter as the filter will reduce the fan’s speed. So you have to use it without the filter. But don’t worry about that. Even without the filter, this fan will keep the odors away.
Overall, the features that these fans offer are beneficial for you, as you can see. So choosing this fan can benefit you a lot.
- The airflow of this grow tent fan is 240 CFM. With such higher airflow, it will keep the air on the inside of your grow tent fresh.
- The Urban Farmer 6 Inch Inline Duct Booster Fan produces only 68 decibels of sound. So you can keep yourself free from any noise disturbance.
- This fan comes with 6 inches of duct diameter. So, you can easily place the fan in any compact area.
- With 120 volts of input power, this fan can run to the fullest. On top of that, it provides an output power of 37 watts. So, to talk about take less and give more, this fan is perfect.
Check Price & Reviews On Amazon
iPower 6 Inch 442 CFM Inline Duct Ventilation Fan
Very few duct fan offers fan blades like the iPower 442 CFM Inline Duct Ventilation Fan. The blades are composite. On top of that, they have a central hub, which helps to reduce vibrations and noises. So, for smooth airflow and less noise, this is a quality fan.
To ensure durability, the iPower 442 CFM Inline Duct Ventilation Fan has coatings of ceramic all over its body. With such a coating, your fan’s durability and reliability will greatly enhance.
Moreover, the bearings here are permanently lubricated. That means you don’t need to worry about the bearings getting rough. And also, this feature makes maintenance of this fan easier.
There is a junction box available with this fan as well. So you can wire it up and plug it in easily without going through any troubles. And the long power cord here ensures flexibility as well.
The only thing you need to remember is that this fan is a little heavier than other duct fans for grow tents. So moving it from one place to another may bother you a little.
Aside from that, you don’t have to worry about this fan’s performance or quality. You can undoubtedly choose it for the features it has to offer.
- A flow rate of 442 CFM. With this flow rate level, the air in your grow tent will always be fresh and neat.
- For flexibility of placement, this inline duct blower comes with a 5 feet cord. With this cord, you can place the fan easily at any corner of your grow tent.
- The iPower fan produces only 50 decibels of sound. This is lower than the sounds most other duct fans produce. It’s suitable for a disturbance-free environment.
- With 2380 RPM of fan speed, your growing environment’s temperature will stay suitable for the plants.
- Operates with 120 volts of power input. So it is suitable and compatible with household current.
Check Price & Reviews On Amazon
Grow Tent Ventilation Diagram (From iPower):
VIVOSUN 4 Inch 203 CFM Inline Duct Ventilation Fan
The VIVOSUN 203 CFM Inline Ventilation Fan has a vegan leather cover over it. This cover makes the fan well-tuned to reduce any kind of vibrations. Also, this sturdy cover can muffle any sounds produced further.
Only galvanized steel is used to make this fan’s significant parts. Moreover, these parts are painted in such a way that they can resist corrosion.
Atmospheric corrosion can occur because of humidity. But they are prevented by the steel of this fan.
On top of that, this fan’s precise and tight construction can eliminate rattling and decrease the rate of wear and tear. And overheating is prevented by an auto-reset function. This gives the fan a longer life.
In this fan, the impeller used is centrifugal as usual but is designed aerodynamically. This design has a lot to contribute to delivering a strong air flow with a lower sound profile.
This duct fan is fitted with dual flanges and a speed adjuster for a hassle-free hookup. So get the right amount of airflow in your grow environment with the VIVOSUN 203 CFM Inline Ventilation Fan.
All in all, this fan has all the features to fulfill your requirements. So choosing this fan for your grow tent can be a smart decision.
- The speed of the fan is 2500 RPM. This speed is suitable for keeping the temperature at the level your plants prefer.
- An airflow rate of 203 CFM. To keep the air of the growing environment clean, is quite suitable.
- The noise produced by this fan is 49 decibels only. Such lower noise ensures less disturbance while keeping the exhaust fan running for a long time.
- Only 4 inches of this fan’s frame diameter makes it the most compact duct fan you can ask for. Placing it anywhere you want is a piece of cake for you with this fan.
- The 8 feet long cord wire will help you to connect this fan with the power source from a longer distance. It gives you flexibility in placement.
Best Grow Tent Fan: Buyer’s Guide
For purchasing the best grow tent fan, you need to know the proper way of choosing a fan. Here are some tips that will help you to choose the right one.
Check out the Speed
The speed of the fan matters in varying the temperature. You need to have the right and accurate temperature to maintain your plants’ growth and health.
So with the help of a proper extractor fan, you can get the right airflow for a suitable temperature.
Learn about the Construction
The build quality of the fan is outstanding because it ensures durability and reliability. With better construction, your fan can last way longer than ever.
Keeping these in mind, check out a duct fan’s construction quality before you choose one for your ventilation system.
See How Much Power It Needs
As you are going to use it in your home, check out the power level to see if it is compatible with your house’s current. Otherwise, you might not run the fan properly and end up disappointed with your product.
Noise Level Matters
The noise level of a duct fan matters a lot. If it makes too much noise, it will be very annoying for you to keep the fan turned on for a long time. So while picking a fan, keep the noise level in mind and purchase a fan with less noise.
How to set up a Grow Tent Fan
There are some steps you can follow to set up a grow tent fan easily. These steps are –
Placing the Fan
When you purchase the fan, you need to put it in the right position. You should keep the fan on the opposite side of the vents of your grow tent. This will help the air to flow smoothly.
Plugging It in
After that, you have to plug in the exhaust fan. You can do that with the cord that comes with the fan. If the cable is too small and cannot get to your sockets, then you can use a multi-plug.
Adjusting the Speed
You have to change the proper speed so the temperature inside of the grow tent remains suitable for your plants. And you have to frequently turn the fan on and off to keep it safe from any damages.
Read this article https://gardenersyards.com/duct-booster-fan-do-they-work/ to find out more about duct booster fans.
Maintenance & Safety Measures
As an electric device, a duct fan surely has some safety measures. So here, I have added this maintenance and safety guide for you.
For maintenance, you have to give the extractor fan some rest. That means you should not keep the fan running for a long time. That can make the motor get hotter, and then it may burn inside.
Along with that, clean your fan at least once a week. This will keep the dust away and keep your growing environment free of pollution as well.
As this is a duct fan, its general purpose is to make the airflow through the growing place. But if the place where you put the fan is suffocated and there is no ventilation, then the fan cannot flow air. This can lead to internal problems for the fan.
And in a suffocated area, if the motor gets hotter than average, this can also lead to accidents.
So the two things you should do to ensure safety is not to make the fan get hotter and keep it is a place where it can pass the air thoroughly.
Frequently Asked Questions
Which speed limit is the best for a grow tent fan?
Anywhere from 2300 RPM to 2500 RPM is suitable.
What is the best length of the grow tent fan cord?
The cord can come in different sizes. But an eight feet cord is a standard one.
Can I use these fans other than in a grow tent?
Yes, these fans have versatile usage.
Can the traditional pole fan or clip-on fan be used with grow tent
No classic clip-on fans should be used. The grow tent fans are the ones we have always used as they are specially designed for proper flow and control of the grow tent air ventilation.
Is there a way to use a carbon filter with a duct fan?
Some duct fan allows it and some of them don’t. So if you want to use a carbon filter, you should check it out before purchasing.
Can I make my old fan control automatic?
Yes, there are some external fan controllers on the market that will perfectly do the automation job. I have never tried it, but you can find them online.
What is the proper grow tent fan placement?
I have explained this topic more in the grow tent fan placement article.
Do I need ventilation for LED grow tent?
You need ventilation in your grow tent regardless of the light type. Ventilation helps get rid of excessive heat and keeps healthy CO2 levels.
I am sure now you have less doubt about the importance of a grow tent fan for your indoor gardening.
Now that you have learned about the top grow tent fans on the market, picking the right one for you should not be difficult anymore. The buying guide I have added here will help you in that case too.
Every fan you see in this list is applicable, one way or another. You have to match your needs with any one of these fans. Finally, I hope this review will help you get what you wish.